Migration and Travel Visas

The Australian immigration department currently process approximately 130 different types of travel, study, work, protection, family & business visas into Australia. Each one of these visas has its own laws & requirements. It is advisable to obtain our specialized assistance with your application to best understand the legal requirements and process.

Permanent Residency Visa Expiry



Please enter a valid name.


Please enter a valid phone number.

Please enter a valid country.

Please enter a query.
Once you have submitted your request IMS will endeavor to respond within 7 working days.

Is your Permanent Residency Visa About to Expire?

At Interglobal Migration Services we prepare an individual strategy plan for each holder of an Australian Permanent Residency visa. The purpose of the plan is to show how “Close Personal, Business, Employment or General Ties” inside Australia assist you when it comes time for the renewal of the Permanent Residency visa.

The strategy plan is a detailed document with specific actions to be carried out in each of the 5 years of their current Permanent Residency visa.

Update: The Department of Immigration changed the rules in February 2012. All Permanent Residency Renewal applications that are based upon “Close Ties to Australia” and assessed as favorable will now be given a one year renewal only of their subclass 155 visa. It is now even more important you have a strategy plan in place in order to be assessed as favorable and that your one year Permanent Residency visa is renewed each year (year after year). This should not be seen as problematic, the more renewals, the stronger your ties become.

Skills and Employment Visas

Skilled Migration and Employment Migration

The Skilled Migration Program has been put into action to attract employable migrants with relevant qualifications and work experience to fill employment gaps inside Australia.

The focus and speed of processing is through employer sponsored and state sponsored visas, however a range of independent subclasses without sponsorships are also available.

Please note that all skills classes of visas must lodge an “expression of Interest ” first and then be invited to lodge an application.

Subclasses include:

Employer Visas (Temporary Residency and Permanent Residency)

There are temporary or permanent visa options for those who have found an Australian Business willing to employ them in their qualified occupation. The applicants will need to have the required education background and work experience, may require “skills assessing” by the relevant Australian skills body and will need to be of a certain age.

At Interglobal Migration, we work not only with you but with your employer to ensure they have the correct employment contract templates, training plans and understand the requirements to pass the “sponsorship” and “nomination” application stages that will allow them to employ and sponsor you.

If you have been offered employment by an Australian business, contact us with details of this employer and we will then interview them to establish that they meet the requirements.

Skilled Migration

Under current Australian Immigration laws, applicants must ensure they first meet the required skilled migration points based on their age, qualifications, English ability and working history. Applicants then must send to the Australian immigration Department an “Expression of Interest” based on their “points”. This stage is not applying for a skills migration visa.

Applicants must then be “invited” by the Australian Immigration Department to lodge a skills migration application based on their “points”. We can assist with lodgement of an “expression of interest” with certain clients and specialise in lodging visa applications on behalf of clients once they have been “invited” to do so.

The laws and requirements for skills migration are extremely technical and the use of an experienced and specialised registered migration agent is highly recommended.

If you would like to discuss skills migration pathways available please contact us today.

Parents Visa

Bringing your Parents to Australia

A summary of the main criteria for the parent visas are as follows:

Parent(s) must be sponsored by a child who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident who is normally resident in Australia for at least the last two years.

If applying in Australia, the parents in most cases need to be of retirement age (65 years for male and 63 years for female). If applying from overseas there is no minimum age requirement for the parent.

The applicant must satisfy the “Balance of Family test”, meaning the number of children who are lawfully and permanent resident in Australia must be:

  • Greater than or equal to the total number of children who are resident overseas, or
  • Greater than the greatest number of children who are resident in any single overseas country.

The Australian government has introduced the “contributory” parent visa categories, which requires the payment of a much higher application fee to cover medical expenses, but which are processed much faster than the old parent visa applications, which can currently take a very long time to secure.

For applicants who are able to pay visa charges per person, they will be able to be granted permanent residency fairly speedily. Email our office for the latest fees and waiting time.

Note the contributory fees increases with inflation each year.

There is also the option to pay part of the above fee and obtain a Temporary visa for up to 2 years , at which time the balance of the fee must be paid to obtain Permanent Residency.

Note that the contributory parent visas also requires a $10,000.00 plus, 10 year Assurance of Support bond plus further bonds for dependants on the application.

Start your application now as the queue is long. If you would like to discuss the options available to you, please contact our office and one of our Registered Migration Agents will contact you to advise which options best suit your needs.

Working Holiday Visas

Working Holiday Visas to Australia

The main purpose of this visa is to allow you to have an extended holiday while supplementing your funds with short-term work inside Australia. This visa is for people aged 18 to 30 years of age, who are interested in a working holiday of up to 12 months in Australia. This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through short-term employment. However, if your primary reason for traveling to Australia is to participate in the work force, you should consider a different visa designed for that purpose.

This working holiday visa will allow you to;

  • Enter Australia within 12 months of granting of the visa
  • Stay up to 12 months
  • Leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid
  • Work in Australia for up to six months with any one employer
  • Study for up to four months.

IMPORTANT. If you work for 3 months in a designated regional area, performing a certain job during your holiday in Australia, you may apply for a further extension of 12 months. (some countries only).

Business or investment visas

Are you considering doing business or investment in Australia?

If you are doing business or investment in Australia using your current business details in your home country you may enable you qualify for a temporary residency business visa into Australia. This visa will turn into Permanent Residency status after you have owned and run a business inside Australia for a period of two years and have met all visa conditions. You do require current business experience to be eligible to apply for a business visa into Australia and a certain number of “qualifying points” is required.

Permanent residency or temporary residency leading to permanent residency.

Business owner temporary residency visas

These visas are for people who own a business in their current home country and can use those business skills to apply for a temporary 5 years business visa that will lead to permanent residency after completing 3 years of business in Australia and meeting other requirements. Applicants must be under 55 years of age, and require state sponsorship.

Business owner permanent residency visas

This is the permanent residency stage for applicants above who have completed at least 3 years in business inside Australia (on their business owner temporary residency visa) and are now ready to apply for permanent residency in Australia. They need to show ownership of an Australian business, have capital investment in that business and have maintained management of that business for the past 3 years. (Please refer to the migration agent for current requirements). This topic is also covered in our seminars.

Investor visa’s (temporary residency)

These temporary resident visas are for applicants who lodge Business Investment Bonds in Australia and reside in Australia without having to run a business. There are two types of investor visas and two different amounts with two different rules applying.(Please refer to the migration agent for current requirements). This topic is also covered in the Seminars.

Temporary Resident Business Visas

Visitor Visa (Business)

These visas are designed for persons wishing to visit Australia for genuine business reasons (and stay up to 3 months at any one time). In certain circumstances these visas may be granted and remain valid for multiple entries for periods of up to 10 years.

Bringing partners to Australia

Bringing your Partner / Fiance to Australia

In order to be eligible for Partner Migration, you must meet a number of qualifying criteria.

To apply for a De facto or Spouse Visa:

  • You and your partner need to be able show proof of your commitment and exclusive relationship to one another; regardles of being married or not.
  • You will need to show proof that the relationship is genuine and continuing
  • Generally, you both need to be aged 18 or over
  • You must pass health and character criteria

Prospective Marriage Visa

If you intend to marry an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may be entitled to apply for a prospective marriage visa. Once granted, you then have 9 months to marry and then apply for the Spouse (temporary residency) visa.

Spouse / De-facto (temporary residency or permanent residency) Visa

Once your spouse visa is granted, you will be issued with visa that allows you to stay in Australia for 2 years and you will have full work and study rights during this period. After the two year period, you will be entitled to apply for permanent residence through your relationship provided that your relationship is still genuine and continuing. One of our registered migration agents will advise with detailed information on which course of action would best suit your needs.

Health problems?

Do you have Health Problems?

Has your visa been refused on medical grounds or do you need advice on whether you are able to pass an Australian immigration medical before you start? We prepare applications for “Health Waivers” for specific subclasses of visas. Note Health Waivers apply to only some classes of visas.

Visa refusal?

Have you had a visa refused?

At Interglobal Migration Services we have experience assisting clients with applications for Migration Review Tribunal (MRT), Refugee Review Tribunal (RRT) and Ministerial Interventions, following a refusal of a visa. Our registered migration agents are well experienced in this area and can advise you of possible strategies when preparing your case for review.


You should apply for Australian citizenship?

The process for applying for Australian Citizenship contains 10 steps with an interview & test & it can vary depending on your situation.

  • Citizenship through migrating (P/R)  to Australia. 
  • Citizenship by being born in Australia
  • Citizenship by being born overseas to an Australian parent

At Interglobal Migration Services we are specilist to guide clients with their citizenship application to the Australian Government. Seek our assistance….. don’t hesitate to contact us today.


Sponsored Parent (Temporary Visa) (subclass 870)

The Australian Sponsored Parent Visa (Subclass 870) is a temporary visa that is issued to the parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents, allowing them to live in Australia with their children for a maximum of ten years. It is originally issued either for three or five years and your parents can renew the visa again, for another three or five years, for a maximum duration of ten years.

To be able to sponsor your parent for an 870 visa, you have to fulfill the following conditions:

  • You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, who has been resident in Australia for at least four years.
  • You must be the legal child of your parents (biological, adoptive, or step-child). You may also sponsor your spouse or partner’s parents
  • You must not have been unlawfully living in Australia during the last four years.
  • You must not have held a bridging visa other than the bridging visas A, B or C during the last four years.
  • You (and your spouse/partner) must have a joint income of at least AUD 83,454. If you do not have a spouse/partner, you must meet the income requirements yourself.
  • You must not have any debts to the Australian government.

You can sponsor your parents or your parents-in-law (your spouse’s or partner’s parents), but not both parties simultaneously. So, one household can sponsor only two parents at a time, as such:

  • One or both of your parents, or;
  • One or both of your parents-in-law, or;
  • One of your parents and one of your parents-in-law.

You do not need a Balance of Family Test for the 870 Visa.

The Sponsored Parent Visa application is divided into two main steps:

  • Step 1: You apply to become a Sponsor.
  • Step 2: Your parents apply for the Temporary Parent Visa (Subclass 870).

Contact Interglobal Migration Services, if you would like our assistance with a 870 Parent sponsored visa.

Graduate Visa

Can you apply for a Graduate Visa?

The process for applying for a Graduate Visa can vary depending on your situation. The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. This visa has two streams:

For a 485 visa, there are two streams you can apply for:

  1. Post study work stream. This stream will allow you to stay between two to four years depending on your degree level. During that time you can work anything as long as it’s related to your field of study- you can also apply for a second post study work stream visa that will allow you to stay for up to two more years.
  2. Graduate work stream. You can apply for this visa stream if you want to work in an occupation that belongs to the skilled occupation list. To get this visa stream, your degree, diploma or trade certificate must be related to the job you want to work in.

Your temporary graduate visa is usually valid between 2 to four years, this will depend on your visa stream and your qualifications. For your post study work stream, if you have a bachelor’s degree you can stay for two years, with a master’s degree you can stay for 3 up to five years.

This visa will last 5 years if you have a passport issued from Hong Kong.

You need to meet the following criteria for a 485 visa:

      • You are under 50 years of age.
      • You hold a valid student visa.
      • You held a student visa 6 months before you applied for a 485 visa.
      • You received one of these degrees:
        • Bachelor degree
        • Bachelor degree (Honors)
        • Master’s (course work) degree
        • Master’s (extended) degree
        • Master’s (by research) degree
        • PhD
      • You studied at an Australian university.
      • You did not hold a previous 485 visa or a 476 visa (for a graduate stream).
      • You meet the skills requirements (for a graduate stream)
      • Your occupation is listed in the skilled occupation list (for a graduate stream).
      • Please note that you must have gotten your student visa either on November 5, 2011 or after this date- anyone with a student visa issued earlier is not eligible to apply for a 485 visa.

The study program you followed in Australia must meet the study requirement for you to be eligible for a 485 visa:

    • The course you took was a part of CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students).
    • You held a valid student visa.
    • You completed all the course requirements.
    • The course you studied was taught in English.
    • You studied for at least two years or 92 weeks in total.
    • You finished your study program in no less than 6 months.

    Contact us, if you would like to apply for a Graduate Visa.